A city located on an island in the southeastern part of Lake Manzalah in the province of Daqahliyyah, the site of which is now known as Kom Tinnis.
Tinnis was a bishopric at least as early as the first third of the fifth century as evidenced by the mention of Bishop Heracleides (Heraclius in the Coptic version) of Tinnis in the lists of bishops who attended the First Council of EPHESUS in 431 (Munier, 1943, p. 17).
[See also: Mikha’il.]
- Kosack, W. Historisches Kartenwerk Ägyptens. Bonn, 1971.
- Munier, H. Recueil des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.