The Tomb of Ibrahim and Girgis al-Guhari (OLD CAIRO)
The Tomb of Ibrahim and Girgis al-Guhari, newly renovated by the Supreme Council of Antiquities under the direction of Dr. Zahi Hawass, is located near the Coptic Church of St. George in Old Cairo. Ibrahim al-Guhari (d. 1795) is one of the most significant Coptic personalities. He contributed to the beginning of the renaissance of the Coptic Church in the eighteenth century. Mamluk Ibrahim Bey appointed him Chief Scribe, a position that was the equivalent of finance minister for all of Egypt. Al-Guhari used his financial and political influence in the Egyptian state and succeeded in restoring many monasteries and churches. Due to his position, he was able to obtain permission to build new churches. His brother Girgis (d. 1810) was also an influential Coptic official who witnessed the birth of modern Egypt. He served as director of the Egyptian administration of taxes and finances under both Napoleon Bonaparte and Muhammad ‘Ali. He greatly served the Coptic Church and continued the mission of his brother Ibrahim. Without the Guhari brothers, it is possible that the churches of Old Cairo as we know them would not exist.
The superstructure of the tomb is roofed over with decorative timbering and contains a beautiful mashrabiya. The attractive lectern is adorned with geometric designs. There is a tombstone beneath the mashrabiya decorated on the top with a Coptic cross and inscribed below with the names of Ibrahim and Girgis al-Guhari and the dates of their deaths in Coptic and Arabic.