The Coptic Church (FAGGALA)

In 1901 THE MEMBERS OF THE PRESBYTERIAN COMMUNITY of Faggala began their worship in a tent in the courtyard of the girls’ school on Faggala Street. The tent burned down in 1912. By 1920 Pastor Ghubrial al-Dab’ had been able to raise funds to acquire a plot of land, also in Faggala. The first donor was the famous Coptic gynecologist Naguib Mahfouz. The church was built in 1922 at a cost of LE9,000. The earthquake of October 1992 greatly affected the church, which was restored and renovated in 1994. When Nasser’s nationalization policies compelled many of Egypt’s longstanding communities and expatriates to leave Egypt in the early 1960s, the membership asked the Egyptian congregation to take on the responsibility of the orphanage that the congregation had been supporting. This was a very big challenge for all of them. The orphanage today is very successful. Girls of all ages live together, while going to school in the community.

Interior view of the sanctuary
Interior view of the sanctuary
Interior view looking toward the pulpit
Interior view looking toward the pulpit
Exterior view of the Coptic Evangelical Church with the Jesuits' Holy Family Church in the background which is located directly across the street.
Exterior view of the Coptic with the Jesuits’ Church in the background which is located directly across the street.