The Church and Monastery of Antuniyus in

During the days of Christ, was the first city in the Holy Land after Jerusalem. It was here that Christ made the blind see and that He was a guest in the house of Zacchaeus. In its fortress, the Macchabee was murdered, and the Great died there, when the population was 100,000. In the Christian era it became the headquarters of the diocese. Under the the city became the property of the Knights of the Holy Sepulcher. It was they who built the present citadel, and the houses surrounding the formed the nucleus of the present city. The old city of Jericho lies about 3 miles (5 km) to the west of the present city. The nearby mountain was the setting for Christ’s sojourn in the wilderness when he was tempted by Satan.

Coptic pilgrims visited the holy places from the earliest times, and probably spent the night in on their way to the River Jordan, and also rested there on their way back to Jerusalem.

The present Coptic church in is named after Antuniyus. The land upon which the church and monastery are built was bought by Anba Basilios II (1856-1899). The building of the church was in 1922 and was completed in 1924 under Anba Timotheos (1899-1925). The monastery was built in the time of Anba Basilios III (1925-1935).

The church was renovated in 1962. The icons on the iconostasis were restored and new seats were introduced. Prayers are performed every Sunday. The church and monastery are surrounded by a large orchard and are visited by Coptic and other pilgrims.