The Catholic Cathedral of St. Mark (SHUBRA)
THE CATHEDRAL IS SITUATED ON AL-BI’THA (Mission) Street in Shubra. The street is named after the Society of African Missions, whose fathers served at the cathedral. The imposing cathedral was constructed in 1907. It is very rich in altars and sculptures but has no paintings. The cathedral’s main high altar is dedicated to St. Mark the Evangelist, behind which is installed an altar to St. Joseph. The area of the high altar is decorated with the statues of St. Mark, St Augustine, St. Anne, St. Cyril, and St. Joan of Ark; all were executed by M. Marino. The northern side of the transept is occupied by the altar of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the southern side by the altar of Our Lady of Lourdes. The three side altars on the northern wall of the nave are dedicated to St. Jean Baptiste de la Salle (1651-1719), the founder of the Order of the Christian Brothers, and St. Theresa of Lisieux; those on the southern wall are dedicated to St. Antony of Padua, Our Lady of Fatima, and Our Lady of Rosary. The baptistery, which stands at the nave’s southwest comer, is ornamented with a statue of St. Peter Claver, patron of the Society of African Missions.