Also known as Tall Bani ‘Imran, from the name of the bedouin tribe that established itself in the neighborhood, site famous for the ruins of the capital founded by Amenophis IV, the pharaoh who wished to impose the cult of one god. Several tombs in the necropolis, north of the town, were fitted up by the hermits. Attention is drawn to them by N. Davies. One also may consult Badawy’s “Les Premiers établissements.”
It appears that the inscriptions have not been published. Two tombs are of particular interest: tomb no. 4, of Merire, for its inscriptions; and tomb no. 6, of Panehsi, for its transformation into a chapel. A niche was enlarged to form a baptistery.
A description of the entire site is given in O. Meinardus.
- Badawy, A. “Les Premiers établissements chrétiens dans les anciennes tombes d’Egypte.” Tome commémoratif du millénaire de la Bibliothèque patriarcale d’Alexandrie, pp. 66-69. Alexandria, 1953.
- Davies, N. de Garis. The Rock Tombs of el-Amarna, Vols. 1 and 2. London, 1903-1908.
- Meinardus, O. Christian Egypt Ancient and Modern. Cairo, 1965; 2nd ed., 1977.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.