TAKINASH (Bani Suef)
A monastery mentioned several times in the Life of SAMU’IL OF QALAMUN. Driven from Scetis by the envoy of Cyrus, the Chalcedonian archbishop of Alexandria, Samu’il withdrew with his disciples to the south, to the mountain of Takinash. After being delivered from the bedouin who had taken him prisoner, he founded Qalamun with some brothers who had come from the mountain (monastery) “of Takinash” (see Alcock, 1983, index).
The present dependency of the monastery of Saint Samuel is near the village of al-Zawarah, west of Maghagha (Meinardus, 1st ed., pp. 255-56; 2nd ed., p. 359; see Amélineau, 1895, p. 121).
- Alcock, A., ed. The Life of Samuel of Qalamun. Warminster, England, 1983.
- Amélineau, E. La Géographie de l’Egypte a l’époque copte. Paris, 1895.
- Crum, W. E. Coptic Manuscripts Brought from the Fayyum by W. M. Flinders Petrie. London, 1893.
- Daressy, G. “Position de la ville de Takinash.” Annales du Service des antiquités d’Egypte 18 (1918):26-28.
- Meinardus, O. Christian Egypt, Ancient and Modern. Cairo, 1965; 2nd ed., 1977.