RENÉ-GEORGES COQUIN

Dayr Al-Shalwit

DAYR AL-SHALWIT About 6 miles (10 km) northwest of Armant is a small temple erected by the Roman emperors Hadrian and Antonius Pius in honor of the goddess Isis that is described by the local inhabitants under the name Dayr al-Shalwit. It was occupied by a Christian community, as is shown by numerous graffiti traced …

Dayr Al-Shalwit Read More »

Dayr Al-Saqiyah

DAYR AL-SAQIYAH This monastery, today in ruins, was situated on the left bank of the Nile 2.5 miles (4 km) north of the DAYR AL-NASARA, at the bottom of a large wadi that opened on the stony desert at the foot of the mountain. At the foot of a high cliff is a rectangular enclosure …

Dayr Al-Saqiyah Read More »

Al-Duwayr

AL-DUWAYR A village south of ASYUT and site of excavations in 1914 carried out by Claudius Labib that brought to light a necropolis of the Ptolemaic and Byzantine period. Several STELAE were found, two of which mention a list similar to those of Saqqara or Bawit, and name the famous triad of these monasteries: Apollo, …

Al-Duwayr Read More »

Akhmim

AKHMIM A city on the right bank of the Nile, about 250 miles (467 km) south of Cairo. In Byzantine times Akhmim was known as Panopolis. It remains today the chief town of the province of Suhaj. Akhmim is the name of pharaonic times (Chemmis) clothed in Arabic. Monasteries Pachomian Establishments The Greek and Coptic …

Akhmim Read More »

Dayr Ebifania

DAYR EBIFANIA The SYNAXARION of the Copts, in its recension from Lower Egypt, indicates that the patriarch PETER IV, thirty-fourth patriarch of Alexandria, lived in this Monastery of the Epiphany after his election because of political and religious circumstances. The monastery, it is said, was situated to the south of that of ENATON, in the …

Dayr Ebifania Read More »