Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/web2cowi/public_html/wp-content/themes/astra/inc/class-astra-dynamic-css.php on line 3458
PETER GROSSMANN - Page 14 of 16 - Coptic Wiki

PETER GROSSMANN

Qararah

QARARAH An early Christian settlement on the east bank of the Nile, east of the modern railway station of Magharah (about 112 miles or 180 km south of Cairo). Apart from the remains of a few miserable houses (Ranke, 1926, p. 7, pl. 7), only the cemeteries have survived, and these afford information about an …

Qararah Read More »

Qift (Coptos)

QIFT (Coptos) A city on the east bank of the Nile, about 25 miles (40 km) northwest of Luxor. It was already of some significance early on as the exit point of the desert routes to the Red Sea and to the quarries in the desert area. In the third century A.D. during the Palmyrene …

Qift (Coptos) Read More »

Hisn

HISN A rampart or defensive wall. The word is also used in this sense for the fortification walls of towns. In the Egyptian cenobite monasteries the hisn has the significance of a protective wall and is equally important as a defense against hostile assaults and to prevent uncontrolled intercourse between the inhabitants of the monastery …

Hisn Read More »

Pbow

PBOW History Pbow is the Coptic name of the second and most important monastery of Saint PACHOMIUS. For centuries the superior of the whole Pachomian congregation resided at Pbow. The site is now considered equivalent to the town of Faw al-Qibli (Faw of the South, in contrast with the neighboring village Faw al-Bahari, Faw of …

Pbow Read More »

Madamud

MADAMUD A town on the east bank of the Nile, about 5 miles (8 km) northeast of Luxor, and from the pharaonic down to the Roman period an important cultic center of the Theban district-god Month, which still emerges from the place-name today. The temple of Month and of the bull Buchis sacred to him …

Madamud Read More »

Madinat Madi

MADINAT MADI An abandoned site on the southwest edge of the Fayyum (perhaps identical with the ancient Narmuthis), which grew out of an older temple settlement the beginnings of which reach back into the Middle Kingdom. The temple itself was built by Amenemhet III (Twelfth Dynasty) and contains numerous additions from the Ptolemaic and Roman …

Madinat Madi Read More »

Madinat Habu

MADINAT HABU The great fortified mortuary temple of Ramses III. The Coptic settlement in the temple area of Madinat Habu is the simple continuation and the final stage of a civilian migration into the temple precincts that began as early as the Twenty-first Dynasty (from 1090 B.C.). At first, it was significantly limited only to …

Madinat Habu Read More »

Makhurah (Mareotis)

MAKHURAH (Mareotis) A small late Roman settlement on the Mediterranean coast about 10 miles (16 km) west of ABUSIR (Taposiris Magna). Up to now the significance of the place has not been ascertained. Apart from two large churches, there are only a few domestic buildings within the surrounding wall, and the people that lived in …

Makhurah (Mareotis) Read More »