Dayr Al-Barshah And Dayr Al-Nakhlah

DAYR AL-BARSHAH and DAYR AL-NAKHLAH [The first name is that of a village south of DAYR ABU HINNIS. It is a modern village, inhabited by Copts on the site of an old monastery, of which—apart from the old church—no parts worth mentioning have survived. The second is that of a village near the first, around […]

Read More

Dayr Al-Fakhuri

DAYR AL-FAKHURI History The “Monastery of the Potter” (it is not known whence this appellation comes) is situated on the edge of the desert, about 6 miles (9 km) north of Isna, near the ancient Asphynis (present-day Asfun al-Mata‘nah). The monastery also bears the name of “Matthew the Poor.” This personage, whose Life survives (or […]

Read More

Dayr Al-‘Azab (Fayyum)

DAYR AL-‘AZAB (Fayyum) History The monastery of Dayr al-‘Azab does not seem to have been mentioned, at least under this name, by any author before the traveler J. M. Vansleb in 1672, who placed it halfway between Madinat al-Fayyum and the DAYR AL-NAQLUN (1677, p. 274; 1678, p. 166). In fact, it is about 4 […]

Read More

Dayr Anba Palaemon

DAYR ANBA PALAEMON On the right bank of the Nile, to the north of the river, which at this point from Qena as far as Nag Hammadi flows from east to west, to the east of the town of Al-Qasr wa-al-Sayyad, is said to be the site of the ancient Sheneset (the Coptic name) or […]

Read More

Dayr Anba Pisentius

DAYR ANBA PISENTIUS In 1926 W. E. CRUM left unanswered the question of the location of the monastery of Tsenti (al-Qassas in Arabic), where PISENTIUS, bishop of Qift at the beginning of the seventh century, habitually lived and where it seems he died. ‘ABD AL-MASIH SALIB AL-MASU‘DI al-Baramusi (1932, p. 184), however, mentions “in the […]

Read More

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu

DAYR BUQTUR OF SHU This monastery, of which nothing remains but the church rebuilt in the sixteenth century, is situated on the right bank of the Nile about 3 miles (5 km) north of Abnub, in the direction of DAYR AL-JABRAWI. It is dedicated to Saint VICTOR (Buqtur), a soldier in the fort of Shu […]

Read More

Dayr Al-Dik

DAYR AL-DIK [This monastery, now in ruins, is situated on the right bank of the Nile, a good hour’s walk to the north of ANTINOOPOLIS. There were also on the edge of the river some cells fitted up with a church in caves in the cliffs that overhang the river.] History The monastery of Dayr […]

Read More

Theban Hermitages

THEBAN HERMITAGES Many Christian sites on the left bank of the Nile opposite Luxor cannot be definitely labeled genuine monasteries, although the local inhabitants use the name dayr (monastery). What we know of these hermitages follows. In the Valley of the Kings, several celebrated tombs preserve vestiges of their occupation by hermits. We may cite […]

Read More

Oswald Hugh Edward Burmester (1897-1977)

OSWALD HUGH EDWARD BURMESTER (1897-1977) A British scholar of Orthodoxy and the Eastern churches. He obtained his doctorate at Cambridge University in 1933. From 1946 on, he lived in Egypt, serving first as senior lecturer in classics at the University of Alexandria and then, for over twenty years until his death, as professor at the […]

Read More

Tall Al-‘Amarnah

TALL AL-‘AMARNAH Also known as Tall Bani ‘Imran, from the name of the bedouin tribe that established itself in the neighborhood, site famous for the ruins of the capital founded by Amenophis IV, the pharaoh who wished to impose the cult of one god. Several tombs in the necropolis, north of the town, were fitted […]

Read More