Maurice

Dayr Apa Ishaq (Isna)

DAYR APA ISHAQ (Isna) A little to the north of the present DAYR AL-SHUHADA’ (Monastery of the Martyrs) at Isna are some ruins that the inhabitants call the Monastery of Apa Ishaq (Isaac). In the “new” church, which according to the inscriptions dates at least from the end of the twelfth century, an inscription commemorates …

Dayr Apa Ishaq (Isna) Read More »

Dayr Apa Thomas

DAYR APA THOMAS A monastery near the town of Fawjilay, which is about 5 miles (8 km) north of Akhmim. A small church survives from a monastery commemorating the holy hermit Thomas of Shinshif. The name of this mountain (Shinshif) is retained in that of a village near the church, called Naj‘ al-Shinshifi. There is …

Dayr Apa Thomas Read More »

Dayr Asfal Al-Ard

DAYR ASFAL AL-ARD The most detailed description of this convent near Alexandria is given by Abu al-Makarim (1984, pp. 161, 168). He indicates that this monastery was situated east of the town and bore the name of Saint Mark. It was extensive, surrounded by gardens and cultivated land, and had no fewer than four keeps. …

Dayr Asfal Al-Ard Read More »

Dayr Balujah

DAYR BALUJAH Al-MAQRIZI mentions in his list of monasteries a convent that he places at about two hours’ walk opposite Daljah (southwest of Mallawi), near al-Manha, that is to say, the Bahr Yusuf. He describes it as having been one of the largest monasteries in Egypt, but destroyed in his period (fifteenth century) and inhabited …

Dayr Balujah Read More »

Dayr Al-Ballas (Qift)

DAYR AL-BALLAS (Qift) This monastery-village is situated on the left bank of the Nile to the north of the town of al-Ballas, which has given its name to the large jars in which water is carried. There is neither archaeological nor ancient literary evidence, only the name of the hamlet, al-Dayr, to show that a …

Dayr Al-Ballas (Qift) Read More »

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu

DAYR BUQTUR OF SHU This monastery, of which nothing remains but the church rebuilt in the sixteenth century, is situated on the right bank of the Nile about 3 miles (5 km) north of Abnub, in the direction of DAYR AL-JABRAWI. It is dedicated to Saint VICTOR (Buqtur), a soldier in the fort of Shu …

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu Read More »

Dayr ‘Atiyyah

DAYR ‘ATIYYAH This place-name, which may preserve the name of a vanished monastery, still exists today in the district of al- Ashmunayn. Ramzi (1953-1968, Vol. 2, pt. 3, p. 200) notes that in a document of A.M. 911/A.D. 1505-1506, this dayr bears the name of Dayr Saft al-Khammar. Today it is situated in the markaz …

Dayr ‘Atiyyah Read More »

Dayr Al-Bala‘Yzah

DAYR AL-BALA‘YZAH History This monastery, of which nothing but vast ruins remain, was situated on the left bank of the Nile, about 11 miles (18 km) to the south of ASYUT. About 2.5 miles (4 km) from the DAYR AL- ZAWIYAH, on the cliff that carries the desert plateau, some ancient quarries were first fitted …

Dayr Al-Bala‘Yzah Read More »

Dayr Al-Bakhit (Luxor)

DAYR AL-BAKHIT (Luxor) History The name of this monastery could only be the Arabic transcription of a Coptic word meaning “of the north,” in contrast to Dayr al-Qibli (Monastery of the South), the name given to the temple of Hadrian to the south of Madinat Habu. This appellation could be older than the typically Arabic …

Dayr Al-Bakhit (Luxor) Read More »