Martin

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu

DAYR BUQTUR OF SHU This monastery, of which nothing remains but the church rebuilt in the sixteenth century, is situated on the right bank of the Nile about 3 miles (5 km) north of Abnub, in the direction of DAYR AL-JABRAWI. It is dedicated to Saint VICTOR (Buqtur), a soldier in the fort of Shu …

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu Read More »

Dayr ‘Atiyyah

DAYR ‘ATIYYAH This place-name, which may preserve the name of a vanished monastery, still exists today in the district of al- Ashmunayn. Ramzi (1953-1968, Vol. 2, pt. 3, p. 200) notes that in a document of A.M. 911/A.D. 1505-1506, this dayr bears the name of Dayr Saft al-Khammar. Today it is situated in the markaz …

Dayr ‘Atiyyah Read More »

Dayr Al-Bala‘Yzah

DAYR AL-BALA‘YZAH History This monastery, of which nothing but vast ruins remain, was situated on the left bank of the Nile, about 11 miles (18 km) to the south of ASYUT. About 2.5 miles (4 km) from the DAYR AL- ZAWIYAH, on the cliff that carries the desert plateau, some ancient quarries were first fitted …

Dayr Al-Bala‘Yzah Read More »

Dayr Al-Bakhit (Luxor)

DAYR AL-BAKHIT (Luxor) History The name of this monastery could only be the Arabic transcription of a Coptic word meaning “of the north,” in contrast to Dayr al-Qibli (Monastery of the South), the name given to the temple of Hadrian to the south of Madinat Habu. This appellation could be older than the typically Arabic …

Dayr Al-Bakhit (Luxor) Read More »

Dayr Al-Dik

DAYR AL-DIK [This monastery, now in ruins, is situated on the right bank of the Nile, a good hour’s walk to the north of ANTINOOPOLIS. There were also on the edge of the river some cells fitted up with a church in caves in the cliffs that overhang the river.] History The monastery of Dayr …

Dayr Al-Dik Read More »