M. Ramzi

Kom Al-Rahib

KOM AL-RAHIB A village about 6 miles (10 km) northwest of SAMALUT. The ruins of a large monastery containing a garden of palm trees, a cistern, a church, and monks’ cells have been discovered there (Johnson, 1910-1911, p. 13). In the neighborhood, an ancient cemetery has yielded up a very fine funerary STELA (Arif, 1906, …

Kom Al-Rahib Read More »

Azari

AZARI A medieval town in the province of Gharbiyyah. Administrative documents of the time situate it in an area called at that time Jazirat Bani Nasr, stretching eastward from the Rosetta branch of the Nile, slightly southwest of Minuf, and from Niqiyus in the south as far as Qulayb Ibyar in the north. It was …

Azari Read More »

Dayr Al-Maymah (Gharbiyyah)

DAYR AL-MAYMAH (Gharbiyyah) This monastery is part of a group of four that, according to the indications of al-MAQRIZI, may be situated “in the region of the salt-marshes near Lake al-Burullus” (1845, pp. 45 [text], 109 [trans.]; 1853, Vol. 2, p. 508, correcting al- Maymanah to al-Maymah) in the neighborhood of Bilqas, in northeast Gharbiyyah. …

Dayr Al-Maymah (Gharbiyyah) Read More »

Dayr Al-Sanquriyyah

DAYR AL-SANQURIYYAH Of this ancient monastery, which has now disappeared, there remains no more than the name and the church dedicated to Saint Theodorus. The latter was perhaps named by ABU SALIH THE ARMENIAN (1895, p. 212), who situated it at Kufur. Al-MAQRIZI did not speak of it, but the church was noted by C. …

Dayr Al-Sanquriyyah Read More »

Dayr Anba Bakhum (Barjanus)

DAYR ANBA BAKHUM (Barjanus) ABU SALIH THE ARMENIAN (1895, p. 243) is the only ancient author to mention this dayr. He placed the village of Barjanus in the district of Taha (al-A‘midah). In the Arabic versions of this Life the place-name (Coptic: “percoush”) is transcribed Brgush (National Library, Paris, Arabe 4787, fols. 196r-229r; Saint Antony, …

Dayr Anba Bakhum (Barjanus) Read More »

Monasteries Of The Fayyum

MONASTERIES OF THE FAYYUM In the notice about the patriarch KHA’IL I (744-767), the HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS indicates that there were then thirty-five monasteries in the Fayyum. ABU SALIH THE ARMENIAN repeats the same information, which he seems to relate to the same period; he names or describes only eight of them. Al-Nabulsi cites …

Monasteries Of The Fayyum Read More »

Dayr Al-Zawiyah

DAYR AL-ZAWIYAH The village today called al-Zawiyah is situated about 3 miles (5 km) from Rifah and 9 miles (15 km) from ASYUT on the edge of the desert. The monastery is south of the village. An ancient cemetery borders the village to the east in the desert, where one finds Roman pottery. W. M. …

Dayr Al-Zawiyah Read More »

Dayr Al-Turfah

DAYR AL-TURFAH This dayr has disappeared. M. Ramzi (1953-1968, Vol. 1, p. 260) situated it in the district of Samalut. The State of the Provinces in A.H. 777/A.D. 1375 still mentions it. It is not known on which bank of the Nile it was, though Ramzi says that it was situated on the left bank. …

Dayr Al-Turfah Read More »