Ibn Duqmaq

Christianity and Monasticism in al-Bahnasa according to Arabic Sources

Christianity and Monasticism in al-Bahnasa according to Arabic Sources LOCATED ABOUT two hundred kilometers south of Cairo on the western bank of Bahr Yusuf (literally, the Sea of Joseph, but actually a canal running off from the Nile), in Minya governorate, about sixteen kilometers northwest of the district of Bani Mazar, al-Bahnasa (Oxyrhynchos, or the …

Christianity and Monasticism in al-Bahnasa according to Arabic Sources Read More »

The Greek Orthodox Church of St. George (OLD CAIRO)

The Greek Orthodox Church of St. George (OLD CAIRO) The Greek Orthodox Church of St. George was constructed over the northern tower of the former river gate of the Babylon fortress. The Arab historian Ibn Duqmaq (1349-1407) assigned the church to the Melkites and mentioned its association with a convent. According to al-Maqrizi (1364-1442) there …

The Greek Orthodox Church of St. George (OLD CAIRO) Read More »

Babylon

BABYLON The oldest part of the city of Cairo. Babylon is situated on the east bank of the Nile, to some extent on the border between Upper and Lower Egypt. The same spot marks the mouth of a canal, originally cut about 600 B.C., which connected the Nile to the Red Sea. The city was …

Babylon Read More »

Dayr Al-Khadim

DAYR AL-KHADIM Ibn Duqmaq (1893, p. 8) and al-MAQRIZI (1853, Vol. 2, p. 505) mentioned a Dayr al-Khadim that was near Bahr Yusuf (al-Manha) in the province of Bahnasa and was dedicated to the angel GABRIEL. The State of the Provinces in 1375 indicates the same (‘Abd al- Latif, 1810, p. 689). Ramzi (1953-1968, Vol. …

Dayr Al-Khadim Read More »

Dayr Al-Khadim

DAYR AL-JU‘ This place-name was mentioned by Ibn Duqmaq (1893, p. 8), who indicated its location and revenues. It is also cited in the State of the Provinces (‘Abd al-Latif, 1810, p. 689) in A.H. 777/A.D. 1375. It seems to have disappeared. These two documents situate it in the province of al-Bahnasa on the left …

Dayr Al-Khadim Read More »