François

Dictionaries

DICTIONARIES From the time when the Copts, like other nations or linguistic entities, felt the need to have at their disposal in writing the equivalents, exact or approximate, of the words of their language, attempts were made to compose modest lists of bilingual vocabulary; these may justly be considered the ancestors of modern Coptic dictionaries. …

Dictionaries Read More »

Dayr Al-Fakhuri

DAYR AL-FAKHURI History The “Monastery of the Potter” (it is not known whence this appellation comes) is situated on the edge of the desert, about 6 miles (9 km) north of Isna, near the ancient Asphynis (present-day Asfun al-Mata‘nah). The monastery also bears the name of “Matthew the Poor.” This personage, whose Life survives (or …

Dayr Al-Fakhuri Read More »

Seymour Montefiore Robert Rosso De Ricci (1881-1942)

SEYMOUR MONTEFIORE ROBERT ROSSO DE RICCI (1881-1942) An English bibliographer and antiquary. He resided chiefly in Paris, and published many bibliographical works on rare books and manuscripts. He was Sandars Lecturer at Cambridge (1929-1930). He published a bibliography of Egyptology (Revue archéologique 5-8, 1917-1918) and of J.-F. Champollion, Recueil d’etudes egyptologiques dédiées à la mémoire …

Seymour Montefiore Robert Rosso De Ricci (1881-1942) Read More »

Lectionary

LECTIONARY A set of four books containing the readings for the various liturgies of the Coptic church. Different lectionaries existed according to different rites in Upper and in Lower Egypt; it was only with the coming of the printing press (see CYRIL IV) that a certain uniformity evolved among the Coptic churches in the whole …

Lectionary Read More »

Bawit

BAWIT History The town of Bawit is located between Dayrut and Asyut. The site is famous through the excavations carried out there at the beginning of the twentieth century, the results of which were important for the history of Coptic art. From the numerous inscriptions discovered there, it is known that it was dedicated to …

Bawit Read More »

Bahjurah

BAHJURAH A village in the Nag Hammadi district of Upper Egypt on the left bank of the Nile and the site of two monasteries, that of Saint Bidaba, which is still in existence, and that of Mar Jirjis. The first mention of the latter seems to have been made by the Capuchin fathers Protais and …

Bahjurah Read More »