Egyptian bishoprics

Al-Burullus

AL-BURULLUS A town in Egypt located somewhere between present-day Baltim and al-Burj on the eastern shore of Lake Burullus in the northern Delta. Al-Burullus had a bishop as early as the first third of the fourth century. Bishop Nonnas was in office in 339; he was succeeded by Bishop Nemesion (Munier, 1943, p. 9). Bishop …

Al-Burullus Read More »

Birma

BIRMA A town located in the Egyptian Delta about 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Tanta in the province of Gharbiyyah. Although Birma is listed in a number of Coptic-Arabic scales and in a list of Egyptian bishoprics (Munier, 1943, p. 64), the town is rarely referred to in Christian-Arabic literature and no bishop for …

Birma Read More »

Bilbeis

BILBEIS A city in the province of Sharqiyyah located at the junction of the Eastern Desert and the Delta about 30 miles (48 km) northeast of Cairo. Though Bilbeis is seldom mentioned in Greek and Latin sources from the Roman-Byzantine era, it is apparent that the city existed prior to the ARAB CONQUEST OF EGYPT …

Bilbeis Read More »

Bastah

BASTAH A city located in the Eastern Delta just south of al-Zaqaziq in the province of Sharqiyyah. In Egyptian the city was known as Per-Bastet (the domain of Bastet, the lion goddess). A powerful political center, Bastah provided the kings of the Twenty-second Dynasty (945-712 B.C.) and served as the capital of the eighteenth Lower …

Bastah Read More »

Daqahlah

DAQAHLAH A village in Egypt located in the northeast part of the Delta about 5.5 miles (8.5 km) south of Fariskur in the province of Daqahliyyah. The first reference to Daqahlah in Christian-Arabic literature is in the HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS where it is related that a great famine afflicted Egypt in the first years …

Daqahlah Read More »

Rashid

RASHID (Rosetta) A city in the Egyptian Delta situated west of Lake Burullus, some 26 miles (42 km) northwest of Damanhur near the Nile mouth known as Masabb Rashid. In Greek, the city was known as Bolbitine. Westerners know the place as Rosetta, a name famous for the stone found not far from the city …

Rashid Read More »

Pimandjoili

PIMANDJOILI A city named in the medieval list of Egyptian bishoprics as the seat of a bishop (Munier, 1943, pp. 49, 55). The list gives Xenedochou as the Greek name of the city and suggests, by the order of presentation, that the city was located in the northeastern part of the Egyptian Delta. However, no …

Pimandjoili Read More »

Qalyub

QALYUB A city in the Egyptian Delta, the capital of the Qalyubiyyah Province, located approximately 8 miles (13 km) north of Cairo. A Vatican Coptic-Arabic manuscript from the seventeenth century that apparently preserves a list of thirteenth-century Egyptian bishoprics mentions Qalyub, suggesting that the city was a bishopric by the late Middle Ages (Munier, 1943, …

Qalyub Read More »

Mahallat Minuf

MAHALLAT MINUF A town in the Egyptian Delta about 7 miles (11 km) north of Tanta, in the Gharbiyyah province. The town was previously known in Arabic as Minuf al-Sufla, in Greek as Onouphis kato, and in Coptic as panouf qat (Panouf khat). Though ancient and medieval sources preserve no descriptions or accounts of Christians, …

Mahallat Minuf Read More »