DAYR AL-JABRAWI

Castrum

CASTRUM A Roman military camp developed from the so-called marching camp, which was constructed each evening by troops on the march in accordance with a model in force throughout the Roman empire. The uniformity of the camps enabled the soldiers to find their way about and also enabled them to react with speed in the …

Castrum Read More »

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu

DAYR BUQTUR OF SHU This monastery, of which nothing remains but the church rebuilt in the sixteenth century, is situated on the right bank of the Nile about 3 miles (5 km) north of Abnub, in the direction of DAYR AL-JABRAWI. It is dedicated to Saint VICTOR (Buqtur), a soldier in the fort of Shu …

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu Read More »

Dayr Al-Qusayr

DAYR AL-QUSAYR From this village and as far as the one called DAYR AL-JABRAWI, the Arabian or eastern mountains between the Nile and Red Sea form a massif called Jabal Abu Fudah, which borders the Nile very closely for some 9 miles (15 km). There are two monasteries there, dedicated to Saint Theodorus and Saint …

Dayr Al-Qusayr Read More »

Ammonius Of Tunah

AMMONIUS OF TUNAH A fourth-century hermit. The name of Ammonius of Tunah (Thone in Coptic) is mentioned in the Coptic inscriptions of al-Jabrawi (see DAYR AL-JABRAWI), on the right bank south of ASYUT, in tombs used by the hermits, along with the names of Apollo, Anoup, Phib, and Pshoi of Jeremiah (Crum, 1902, pp. 45-46 …

Ammonius Of Tunah Read More »

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu

DAYR BUQTUR OF SHU This monastery, of which nothing remains but the church rebuilt in the sixteenth century, is situated on the right bank of the Nile about 3 miles (5 km) north of Abnub, in the direction of DAYR AL-JABRAWI. It is dedicated to Saint VICTOR (Buqtur), a soldier in the fort of Shu …

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu Read More »