CYRIL V

Anba Isaac, Bishop of the Fayoum, al-Bahnasa, and Giza, 1834-81

Anba Isaac, Bishop of the Fayoum, al-Bahnasa, and Giza, 1834-81 Anba Isaac, the bishop of the Fayoum, holds a unique place in the history of the Coptic Church during the mid-nineteenth century. This standing is due, in part, to his massive diocese, which included three Egyptian gover­norates: Giza, the Fayoum, and Beni Suef. It is …

Anba Isaac, Bishop of the Fayoum, al-Bahnasa, and Giza, 1834-81 Read More »

Christianity in Asyut in Modern History

Christianity in Asyut in Modern History A Historical Introduction By the second half of the eighteenth century, Asyut had taken Girga’s place as the capital of Upper Egypt. With Muhammad ‘Ali’s interest in admin­istratively organizing Egypt’s governorates, the construction of the gover­norate building in Asyut began in 1811. In 1822, Asyut’s population was around seventeen …

Christianity in Asyut in Modern History Read More »

Interior view toward the sanctuary.

The Old Cathedral of St. Mark (AZBAKIYA)

The Old Cathedral of St. Mark (AZBAKIYA) THE CATHEDRAL IS SITUATED on al-Murqusiya Street, Darb al-Wassa’ (Clot Bey). Ibrahim al-Guhari, the famous Coptic official, was able to obtain permission from the Ottoman sultan to build a Coptic church in Azbakiya. Girgis al-Guhari, his brother, oversaw the completion of the church. In the late eighteenth century …

The Old Cathedral of St. Mark (AZBAKIYA) Read More »

Music

MUSIC The Coptic Church uses more than one tune. The yearly tune, is used for all days except some feasts, fasting, and other occasions. The tune of Joy (Faraihi) is used from the first day of Tut, the beginning of the year, until the feast of the Cross, then in the dominical feasts and in …

Music Read More »

Coptic Museum

COPTIC MUSEUM A museum founded in Cairo in 1902. The first exhibition of Coptic art in Egypt took place sometime at the end of the nineteenth century in the Bulaq Museum, the precursor of the actual Museum of Egyptian Antiquities. The collection was exhibited in a hall called “La Salle copte” before it was moved …

Coptic Museum Read More »