Coptic-Arabic scales

Al-Burullus

AL-BURULLUS A town in Egypt located somewhere between present-day Baltim and al-Burj on the eastern shore of Lake Burullus in the northern Delta. Al-Burullus had a bishop as early as the first third of the fourth century. Bishop Nonnas was in office in 339; he was succeeded by Bishop Nemesion (Munier, 1943, p. 9). Bishop …

Al-Burullus Read More »

Birma

BIRMA A town located in the Egyptian Delta about 7 miles (11 km) northwest of Tanta in the province of Gharbiyyah. Although Birma is listed in a number of Coptic-Arabic scales and in a list of Egyptian bishoprics (Munier, 1943, p. 64), the town is rarely referred to in Christian-Arabic literature and no bishop for …

Birma Read More »

Bastah

BASTAH A city located in the Eastern Delta just south of al-Zaqaziq in the province of Sharqiyyah. In Egyptian the city was known as Per-Bastet (the domain of Bastet, the lion goddess). A powerful political center, Bastah provided the kings of the Twenty-second Dynasty (945-712 B.C.) and served as the capital of the eighteenth Lower …

Bastah Read More »

Qina

QINA The capital of Qina Province in Upper Egypt. It is located on the east bank of the Nile about 30 miles (48 km) northeast of HIW. The city was known in Greek first as Kainopolis and then began to be called Maximanopolis in the third century. Qina was mentioned in a list of third-century …

Qina Read More »

Abu Tij

ABU TIJ A town on the west bank of the Nile just south of the city  of Asyut in the province of Asyut. Abu Tij served in antiquity as the depot for grain gathered for shipment to Rome. Accordingly it was known in Egyptian as Pa-Chna and in Greek as Apotheke, both of which mean …

Abu Tij Read More »