CHRISTODOULUS

Dayr Al-Baramus

DAYR AL-BARAMUS History This monastery is farthest to the northwest in the monastic colony of Wadi al-Natrun (ancient Scetis). The topographic allusions in ancient literature lend some credence to the statement by the author of the Coptic Life of Saint Macarius (probably of the eighth century; cf. Guillaumont, 1968-1969, pp. 182-83) that Dayr al-Baramus evolved …

Dayr Al-Baramus Read More »

Patriarchal Residences

PATRIARCHAL RESIDENCES Alexandria became the residence of the Bishop of Alexandria during the beginnings of Christianity in Egypt. Alexandria continued to be the residence of the patriarchs of the See of St. Mark as late as the 11th century when Patriarch Christodoulus (1047-1077) definitively transferred his residence to the Mo‘allaqa Church at Old Cairo to …

Patriarchal Residences Read More »

Damru

DAMRU A village 10.5 miles (17 km) north of Mahallah al-Kubra in the Gharbiyyah province and 13 miles (21 km) west of Mansurah in the Province of Daqahliyyah that served as cell or residence of the Coptic patriarchs for almost 100 years, from 975 to about 1061. The name of this village is mentioned sixteen …

Damru Read More »

Church Of Al-Mu‘Allaqah

CHURCH OF AL-MU‘ALLAQAH (Old Cairo) الكنيسة المعلقة   This church is called in Coptic manuscripts “the church of Saint Mary, Mother of God, at Babylon in Egypt” (Amélineau, 1893, pp. 577-79). Texts in Arabic describe it as the “church of our Lady Mary, surnamed the hanging.” European travelers have called it “the church of the …

Church Of Al-Mu‘Allaqah Read More »