Archaeological Report

Dayr Apa Phoibammon

DAYR APA PHOIBAMMON History The monastery of Phoibammon is situated between MADINAT HABU and Armant, at the end of a narrow wadi ending in a circular cliff about 80 feet (25 m) high. It was excavated in 1947 and 1948 by Charles Bachatly, secretary-general of the SOCIETY OF COPTIC ARCHAEOLOGY. Graffiti on the cliff face …

Dayr Apa Phoibammon Read More »

Dayr Al-Bala‘Yzah

DAYR AL-BALA‘YZAH History This monastery, of which nothing but vast ruins remain, was situated on the left bank of the Nile, about 11 miles (18 km) to the south of ASYUT. About 2.5 miles (4 km) from the DAYR AL- ZAWIYAH, on the cliff that carries the desert plateau, some ancient quarries were first fitted …

Dayr Al-Bala‘Yzah Read More »

Al-Shaykh Sa‘Id

AL-SHAYKH SA‘ID Less than 2 miles (about 3 km) south of the village of al-Barsha, on the right bank of the Nile, are some tombs from ancient Egypt, known as the tombs of al-Shaykh Sa‘id. They were later fitted up as dwellings, like those of Bani Hasan, and one of them served as a chapel. …

Al-Shaykh Sa‘Id Read More »

Dayr Nahya (Giza)

DAYR NAHYA (Giza) A monastery that enjoyed an extraordinary renown even among the Muslims. It was situated near the village of the same name (Nahya), to the northwest of Giza at the foot of the Jabal Abu Ruwash. According to The Churches and Monasteries of Egypt, it was founded by a merchant who came from …

Dayr Nahya (Giza) Read More »

Abydos

ABYDOS   One of the most renowned sites in ancient Egypt. Situated on the left bank of the Nile about 7 miles (11 km) from the town of al-Balyana, it was reputed to be the repository of the head of Osiris. For this reason, it was much frequented as a place of pilgrimage, as is …

Abydos Read More »