al-Qamus al-Jughrafi

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu

DAYR BUQTUR OF SHU This monastery, of which nothing remains but the church rebuilt in the sixteenth century, is situated on the right bank of the Nile about 3 miles (5 km) north of Abnub, in the direction of DAYR AL-JABRAWI. It is dedicated to Saint VICTOR (Buqtur), a soldier in the fort of Shu …

Dayr Buqtur Of Shu Read More »

Dayr ‘Atiyyah

DAYR ‘ATIYYAH This place-name, which may preserve the name of a vanished monastery, still exists today in the district of al- Ashmunayn. Ramzi (1953-1968, Vol. 2, pt. 3, p. 200) notes that in a document of A.M. 911/A.D. 1505-1506, this dayr bears the name of Dayr Saft al-Khammar. Today it is situated in the markaz …

Dayr ‘Atiyyah Read More »