A town situated on the west bank of the Nile about 5 miles (8 km) southeast of Asyut in the province of the same name. In Coptic the town was known as Shotep. It was a bishopric by the end of the thirteenth century, as evidenced by the name of Yu’annis, bishop of Shutb and Taha, in the list of those who attended the preparation of the CHRISM in Cairo in 1299 (Munier, 1943, p. 36).
- Munier, H. Recueil de listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.