SHAYKH ‘ABD AL-QURNAH
A small church in the courtyard of Amenemhat that evidently belonged to the federation of the monastery of DAYR EPIPHANIUS at West Thebes. It was found during excavations in 1926 and is now preserved only fragmentarily. It was divided into three aisles and had a three-room sanctuary with a rectangular altar chamber. A sill at the entrance to the altar chamber is to be interpreted as the substructure of cancelli. Of the columns only a few very heavy bases of the north row were found, sunk into the soil without any further foundation. By reason of their arrangement, the existence of a return aisle cannot be excluded. The possible date is the seventh century.
- Gardiner, A. H. “The Tomb of Amenemhet, High Priest of Amon.” Zeitschrift für ägyptische Sprache und Altertumskunde 47 (1910):87-99.
- Mond, R., and W. B. Emery. “The Burial Shaft of the Tomb of Amenemhat.” Liverpool Annals of Archaeology and Anthropology 16 (1929):49f., pl. 81.
- Monneret de Villard, U. Les Couvents près de Sohâg, Vol. 2, p. 115, pl. 137. Milan, 1926.
- Porter, B., and R. L. B. Moss. Topographical Bibliography of Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphic Texts, Reliefs, and Paintings, 2nd ed, Vol. 1, Pt. 2, pp. 669ff. Oxford, 1964.