A city in the middle of the some 5 miles (8 km) east of in the . Greek documents give the name of the city as Sebennytos and in Coptic it was known as jemnou] (Djemnouti).

Sebennytos/Samannud has a very old Christian tradition. reported that the city had a Melitian bishop in 325 (Munier, 1943, p. 3) and the name of the city appears often in early martyrological literature. The martyr Saint , for instance, was said to have passed through Samannud on his way from . Anub found that the churches in the city had been destroyed and that a temple had been built in their place. In the , when the was composed, Anub’s body was in Samannud. There is still a church of Anub in the city.

The earliest attested bishop of Samannud after the OF EGYPT in the seventh century was not in office until the early . The increased activity of the (see GAIANUS) and at the end of the seventh and the beginning of the eighth century may be responsible for the absence of Samannud in Coptic literature for this period.

One of the most famous of Samannud was , who was in office between 1235 and 1257. A literary man, John wrote grammatical works, copied manuscripts, and composed .

BIBLIOGRAPHY

  • Amélineau, E. La Géographie de l’Egypte a l’époque copte, pp. 411-12. Paris, 1893.
  • Munier, H. Recueil des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *