A town in Egypt that seems to have been located in the northern Delta along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea on Lake Bashmur (Maspero, 1919, p. 211). The fact that the repeated onslaughts of the Greeks against Dumyat in the middle of the ninth century prompted the citizens of Rashid, Alexandria, and Nastaruh to strengthen their walls is an indication of Nastaruh’s proximity to the sea and consequent vulnerability to attack. Nastaruh’s position in medieval Coptic-Arabic scales and lists of Egyptian bishoprics, as well as the evidence of medieval Muslim authors, points to Kom Mastaruh west of Nisf Gharb al-Burullus as the probable site of the old town.
Nastaruh is attested in the sources as a bishopric since the tenth century. The HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS relates that around 960 the bishopric of Nastaruh had to be combined with neighboring bishoprics because starvation and poor harvests had severely diminished the population of the cities in the region.
- Amélineau, E. La Géographie de l’Egypte a l’époque copte, pp. 275-76. Paris, 1893.
- Maspero, J., and G. Wiet. Materiaux pour servir à la géographie de l’Egypte. Cairo, 1919.
- Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit, pt. 4, pp. 1739-42. Wiesbaden, 1988.