Although ample attestation exists to show that Naqadah was the seat of a bishop, it is not known when the city first became a bishopric. The SYNAXARION commemorates a Bishop Michael from Naqadah on 22 Baramhat, but it gives no indication when this bishop lived. The next bishop of Naqadah attested in extant sources did not live until the sixteenth century. However, the evidence for this bishop is ambiguous. In a list of bishops from the year 1508, we find a Bishop Basilius of Qus and Naqadah as well as a Bishop Gabriel of the same cities (Muyser, 1944, pp. 162-63). It is not clear why the list names two bishops of the same area.
In the fifteenth century al-MAQRIZI listed four churches for Naqadah without specifying whether they were located in Naqadah itself or simply within the environs of the city: a church of the Virgin, a church of John the Baptist, a church of Gabriel, and a church of John the Compassionate (1845, p. 141).
- Muyser, J. “Contribution a l’etude des listes episcopales de l’eglise copte.” Bulletin de la Société d’archéologie copte 10 (1944):115-76.
- Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit. Wiesbaden, 1988.
No medieval churches have been preserved in Naqadah. On the edge of the desert, there are three monasteries—Dayr al-Gizaz, Dayr al-Majma‘, Dayr al-Salib—in which some medieval remains of buildings are still contained, at least in part, or were visible to earlier travelers.
- Meinardus, O. Christian Egypt, Ancient and Modern. Cairo, 1965.