A town in in the province of Qina that has become famous for the discovery there in 1945 of the Coptic-Gnostic codices that launched a new era in Coptic studies (see LIBRARY). The town, situated on the west bank of the some 50 miles (80 km) southeast of Suhaj, has no tradition apart from its relatively recent fame.

RANDALL STEWART