A city located on the west bank of the Nile in Middle Egypt and the capital of the province of Minya. The city was known in Coptic as tmwn/ (Tmone). Before the late nineteenth century, Minya was known in Arabic as Bani Khasib after al-Khasib ibn ‘Abd al-Hamid, the financial administrator of Harun al-Rashid. The city was a bishopric by the early fourteenth century, as evidenced by the attendance of a Bishop Yusab of Minya at the preparation of the holy CHRISM in 1330 (Munier, 1943, p. 40).
- Maspero, J., and G. Wiet. Matériaux pour servir à la géographie de l’Egypte. Cairo, 1919.
- Munier, H. Recueil des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.