MICHEL MARIE JULLIEN (1827-1911)
A french Jesuit missionary. He served in Egypt from 1880 to 1886. After an interlude of ten years in Syria, he returned in 1896 to Egypt, where he remained until his death. He was a member of the Institut d’Egypte, a founder of the first Coptic-Catholic seminary at Tahta (1899), and the initiator of the modern pilgrimage to the Virgin of Matariyyah, a church dedicated in 1904 to the Holy Family.
His writings, which detail his explorations and researches on ancient Christian Egypt, have remained very useful: L’Egypte, souvenirs bibliques et chrétiens (1899) and Sinaï et Syrie, souvenirs bibliques et chrétiens (1893). Also there are some precious articles on the condition of Coptic monasteries in Upper Egypt at the turn of the nineteenth century in Missions catholiques (October 1894, June 1901, June 1902, April-June 1903).
- Martin, M. “Notes inédites du P. Jullien sur trois monastères chrétiens d’Egypte: dêr Abou Fâna, le couvent des ‘Sept- Montagnes’ et dêr amba Bisâda.” Bulletin de l’Institut français d’Archéologie orientale 71 (1972):119-28.
- Munier, H. “Les Monuments coptes d’après les explorations du P. Michel Jullien.” Bulletin de la Société d’Archéologie copte 6 (1940):141-68.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.