A town located in the Egyptian Delta approximately 14 miles (22 km) southeast of Banha in the province of Sharqiyyah. It was known in the sixth century as Mashtul al-Tawahin (mills) because of its many mills and because of the active trade in flour and grains that it carried on with the Hijaz (Saudi Arabia).
During the Ottoman period in the eighteenth century, Mashtul held a weekly market and accordingly became known as Mashtul al-Suq (Mashtul the market). The town continues to be known by this name.
- Ibn Mammati. Kitab Qawanin al-Dawawin, ed. A. S. Atiya, p. 176. Cairo, 1943.
- Muhammad Ramzi. Al-Qamus al-Jughrafi lil-Bilad al Misriyyah, Vol. 2. Cairo, 1954-1955.