A town in the Egyptian Delta, the exact location of which is now uncertain, though it may be identical with modern Milij (province of Minufiyyah), located about 12 miles (20 km) northwest of Atrib. The town was a bishopric at least as early as the middle of the eighth century when Bishop Victor of Malij attended a council in Cairo. Malij still had a bishop as late as 1349 when Bishop Peter was present at the consecration of the chrism in Cairo (Munier, 1943, p. 41).
Amélineau, E. La Géographie de l’Egypte à l’époque copte, pp. 243-46. Paris, 1893.
Munier, H. Recueil des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.
- Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit, pt. 4, pp. 1538-41. Wiesbaden, 1988.