Mahallat Minuf

MAHALLAT

A town in the Egyptian Delta about 7 miles (11 km) north of Tanta, in the Gharbiyyah province. The town was previously known in Arabic as al-Sufla, in Greek as Onouphis kato, and in Coptic as panouf qat (Panouf khat).

Though ancient and medieval sources preserve no descriptions or accounts of Christians, churches, or bishops in Minuf, the fact that the town is listed in the medieval Coptic-Arabic scalae and in the roster of Egyptian bishoprics suggests that it had a significant Coptic community by the early Middle Ages (Munier, 1943, pp. 46, 53).

BIBLIOGRAPHY

  • Amélineau, E. La Géographie de l’Egypte à l’époque copte, pp. 250-51. Paris, 1893.
  • Maspero, J., and G. Wiet. Matériaux pour servir à la géographie de l’Egypte, pp. 202-204. Cairo, 1919.
  • Muhammad Ramzi. Al-Qamus al-Jughrafi lil-Bilad al Misriyyah, Vol. 2, pt. 2, pp. 107-108. Cairo, 1958.
  • Munier, H. des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.
  • Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit, pt. 4, pp. 1573-75. Wiesbaden, 1988.

RANDALL STEWART