A town located in the Egyptian Delta about 7 miles (11 km) east of Damanhur in the Beheirah Province. Laqqanah was a bishopric by 1145 when Bishop Ya‘qub al-Qari’ of the town was one of a number of men who attempted to make Yunis ibn Kadran patriarch. In 1257 Bishop John of Laqqanah was present at the consecration of the holy CHRISM, and in 1299 Bishop John (perhaps the same man) of Laqqanah and Damanhur was present at the same event (Munier, 1943, pp. 35-36). Al-MAQRIZI wrote in the late fourteenth or early fifteenth century that there was a church of JOHN COLOBOS in Laqqanah.
- Munier, H. Recueil des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.
- Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit. Wiesbaden, 1985.