A town on the east bank of the Nile, and the only one of any size between the Nile narrows at Jabal al-Silsilah and Aswan. It is also important from the point of view of trade, since here the caravan route from the Sudan leads into the Nile Valley. The double-celled temple from the Ptolemaic period, dedicated to the crocodile god Suchos and the falcon god Haroeris, must be regarded as its most important monument. In the area of this temple, and still within its enclosure wall, some pedestals of columns from late antiquity were found to the northwest of the actual temple building, and these are generally regarded as elements from a church. A somewhat larger base was still in situ. The only surviving capital is a reused late imperial capital.
East of this stands a simple dwelling house of the early Christian period, in which all kinds of church furnishings were found. Some connection between this building and a church is therefore very natural.
- Barsanti, A. “Rapport sur les travaux de consolidation exécutés a Kom Ombo.” Annales du Service des Antiquités de l’Egypte 15 (1915):173-74.
- Gutbub, A. “Kom Ombo.” In Lexicon der Ägyptologie, Vol. 3. Wiesbaden, 1980.
- Kees, H. “Omboi 2.” In Realencyklopädie für protestantische Theologie und Kirche 18 (1939):346-49.