A village about 6 miles (10 km) northwest of SAMALUT. The ruins of a large monastery containing a garden of palm trees, a cistern, a church, and monks’ cells have been discovered there (Johnson, 1910-1911, p. 13).
In the neighborhood, an ancient cemetery has yielded up a very fine funerary STELA (Arif, 1906, pp. 113-14).
M. Ramzi (1953-1954, 1963, Vol. 2, pt. 3, p. 236) identifies Kom al-Rahib with the ancient Pergoush and the Dayr Anba Bakhum, but there is nothing to support this identification.
- Arif, S. “Découverte d’une tombe chrétienne près de Samallut.” Annales du Service des antiquités de l’Egypte 7 (1906):111-13. Johnson, J. de M. “Graeco-Roman Branch, Excavations at Atfieh.”
- In Archeological Report 1910-1911, ed. F. L. Griffith, pp. 5-13 and pl. 6-8.
- Ramzi, M. Al-Qamus al-Jughrafi lil-Bilad al Misriyyah, 3 vols. in 6 pts. Cairo, 1953-1968.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.