JIRJIS AL-JAWHARI AL-KHANANI
In 1776 he was pastor of the Church of the Virgin at Harit al-Rum in Old Cairo. In 1777 he copied an Arabic manuscript of 207 large sheets (32 x 23 cm; Coptic Patriarchate, Liturgy 102). This contains two works. The first is a description of the consecration of CHRISM performed during the reign of the patriarch, JOHN XVI (1676-1718); it was composed in 1704 by ‘ABD AL-MASIH, pastor of the Church of the Virgin at Minyat Surd (cf. Graf, Vol. 4, p. 134, no. 1). The second manuscript contains three accounts of miracles performed by the deacon and archon al-Makin Jirjis Abu Mansur al- Tukhi.
For the first work, Jirjis al-Khanani probably used the autograph original by ‘Abd al-Masih, dated 27 Ba’unah A.M. 1420/3 July 1704, which the author had bequeathed to the Church of the Virgin of Harit al-Rum.
For the second work, Jirjis al-Khanani probably took as his model the only other known manuscript (Coptic Museum, Cairo, Liturgy 128). The whole of this manuscript was copied by ‘Abd al- Masih of Minyat Surd in 1710. It includes both works, as does the manuscript copied by Jirjis al-Khanani.
Last, in 1778, Jirjis, now calling himself Jirjis Ibrahim Jawhari al-Khanani, completed his copy of the first part of the epitome of the commentary by JOHN CHRYSOSTOM on the Gospel of John in forty-seven homilies, made by al-Safi ibn al-‘Assal in 1232. This is a large manuscript—33 x 23 cm—containing 152 sheets, copied from a manuscript dated 25 Misra 1450/29 August 1734, which in turn was copied from a manuscript dated A.M. 1027/1310-1311 originating from al-Barari. This is now the only known manuscript of the epitome of al-Safi ibn al-‘Assal (Coptic Patriarchate, Theology 54).
- Graf, G. Catalogue de manuscrits arabes chrétiens conservés au Caire. Vatican City, 1934.
KHALIL SAMIR, S.J.