A town in Upper Egypt on the West Bank of the Nile some 20 miles (32 km) southeast of Suhaj.
A number of early Coptic gravestones come from Jirja, which may indicate that the town had a Christian community at an early date, but the first definite witness for Christianity in the settlement is from the seventeenth century. A manuscript in the Vatican (MS copt Barberinianus 51) was copied from a manuscript dated to 1629 that was preserved in Jirja (Hebbelynck and Lantschoot, 1937, no. 51, pp. 198ff.).
- Hebbelynck, A., and A. van Lantschoot. Codices Vaticani, Barberiniani, Borgiani, Rossiani. Vatican City, 1937.
- Munier, H. Recueil des listes épiscopales de l’église copte. Cairo, 1943.
- Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit, pt. 2, pp. 860-62. Wiesbaden, 1984.