The name of two villages located near one another in the middle of the Delta in the province of Gharbiyyah. There exists today a village called Dumerah (or Dimerah) about 4 miles (6.5 km) west of al-Baramun and 5 miles (8 km) north of Talkha. North of this site is a village called Kafr Dimayrah al-Iadid (earlier Dimayrah al-Bahriyyah) and to the southwest is a village known as Kafr Dimayrah al-Qadim (earlier Dimayrah al-Qibliyyah). The two villages known as Dimayratayn were located somewhere in this same area.
The SYNAXARION for 14 Bashans relates that Saint Epimachus went from al-Farama to al-Bakrug, where the Roman governor tortured and killed him. After his death, 1,750 inhabitants of the two villages named Dimayratayn consoled his parents and became Christians. The HISTORY OF THE PATRIARCHS states that the patriarch Cosmas II (851-858) fled to Dimayrah, which was completely Christian at the time, to avoid the attempts of the Muslim authorities in Alexandria to rob him of his wealth.
In the Synaxarion for 19 Ba‘unah is the story of the martyr Jirjis al- Muzahim whose mother was born in Dimayrah. Though his father was a Muslim, Jirjis adopted the Christian faith due to the strong influence of his mother. On account of his conversion, he was beheaded near the Church of Saint Michael in Dimayrah al- Qibliyyah.
- Amélineau, E. La Géographie de l’Egypte à l’époque copte, pp. 118-19. Paris, 1893.
- Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit, pt. 2, pp. 520-23. Wiesbaden, 1984.