Dayr Yuhannis (Al-Minshah)

DAYR YUHANNIS (Al-Minshah)

On the right bank of the Nile, about 6 miles (10 km) south of DAYR ANBA BISADAH, and hence of the town of al-Minshah (the ancient Psoi/Ptolemais Hermiou), are the ruins of a village, a necropolis, and a named for Saint John. A little farther to the south, in the quarries at the foot of the Jabal Tukh, some indicate that hermits lived there. Some invoke among others an Apa Johannes; one may consult Morgan and Bouriant (1894, pp. 370-1) and Sayce (1908, p. 18). More recent are described by Klemm (1979, pp. 103-40).

BIBLIOGRAPHY

  • Klemm, D. R. “Bericht über die erste Gelandekampagne im September/Oktober 1977.” Studien zur altägyptischen Kultur 7 (1979):103-140.
  • Morgan, J. de, and U. Bouriant. “Note sur les carrières antiques de Ptolemais (Menshiyèh).” Mémoires de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale 8 (1894):370-71.
  • Sayce, A. H. “Notes on Assyrian and Egyptian History.” Proceedings of the Society of Biblical Archaeology 30 (1908):13-18.

RENÉ-GEORGES COQUIN

MARTIN, S.J.