DAYR MUSTAFA KASHIF
To the northwest of the capital of the oasis of Khargah, about 1.25 miles (2 km) northwest of the necropolis of al-Bagawat on the summit of a hill where the tombs rise in tiers (Jabal al-Tayr), are some ruins that some interpret as those of a monastery (de Bock; Meinardus). Others describe them as those of a Roman fort later utilized as a dwelling by Christian hermits (Fakhry). Whatever its original purpose, its last inhabitants have left numerous graffiti (de Bock, 1901, p. 35ff.). It was excavated by the German Institute (Müller-Wiener, 1963, pp. 121-40).
The inscriptions have been copied several times: first by the archaeologist Fakhry, who published them in 1951 (pp. 401-434). G. Roquet has copied but not yet published them (see Leclant, 1977, p.269). Roquet has remarked that some have been written by the same personages as at al-Bagawat, for they bear the same titles.
- Bock, V. de. Matériaux pour servir à l’archéologie de l’Egypte chrétienne. St. Petersburg, 1901.
- Fakhry, A. “The Rock-Inscriptions of Gabal el-Teir at Kharga Oasis.” Annales du Service des antiquités de l’Egypte 51 (1951):401-434.
- Leclant, J. “Fouilles et travaux en Egypte et au Soudan, 1975-1976.” Orientalia 46 (1977):233-99.
- Meinardus, O. F. A. Christian Egypt, Ancient and Modern. Cairo, 1965; 2nd ed., Cairo, 1977.
- Müller-Wiener, W. “Christliche Monumente im Gebiet von Hibis (el
- Kharga).” Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts 19 (1963):121-40.
MAURICE MARTIN, S. J.