Al-MAQRIZI mentions in his list of monasteries a convent that he places at about two hours’ walk opposite Daljah (southwest of Mallawi), near al-Manha, that is to say, the Bahr Yusuf. He describes it as having been one of the largest monasteries in Egypt, but destroyed in his period (fifteenth century) and inhabited by only one or two monks. It should be noted that in ancient times Daljah was on the right bank of the Bahr Yusuf and not on the left as today.
It has been suggested that this monastery of Balujah should be identified with that of BAWIT, at present about 6 miles (10 km) south of Daljah, because the SYNAXARION for 25 Babah places the monastery of Apollo at Abluj. However, the two names are too different to be explained by a copyist’s error, and Bawit does not correspond to al-Maqrizi’s description.
For his part ABU SALIH THE ARMENIAN mentions a church in the district of Baluja, dedicated to the apostles, which he places, as it seems, on the east bank and near to Itfih, which does not correspond with the details given by al-Maqrizi.
There appears to be no village of this name in this region of Middle Egypt. G. Maspero has noted a place called Dayr al- Jaradawi, which is located almost at the site indicated by al-Maqrizi for Balujah (1892, p. 201). See also E.-F. Jomard in Description de l’Egypte (Vol. 4, p. 314).
- Jomard, E. F., in Description de l’Egypte, Vol. 4. Paris, 1821. Maspero, G. “Notes au jour le jour.” Proceedings of the Society of Biblical Archeology 14 (1892):170-204, 305-327.
MAURICE MARTIN, S. J.