DAYR APA ANUB (Nub)
A small monastery near Wadi al-Natrun whose precise date of establishment is not known. Evelyn-White (1932, p. 369) remarked that MAWHUB IBN MANSUR IBN MUFARRIJ, in his list of the relics venerated in Egypt in the History of the Patriarchs (written in 1088; Vol. 2, pt. 3, 1970), did not speak of this monastery. Hence, Evelyn-White concluded that the monastery could have been founded at the end of the eleventh century or the beginning of the twelfth. However, he emphasized that this monastery may have been no more than a cell dependent on the nearby Monastery of Saint John Colobos.
This monastery must not be confused with the monastery of the same name near al-Ashmunayn, an error committed by the editors of this part of the History of the Patriarchs (Vol. 2, pt. 3, p. 361). Mawhub cited the latter Monastery of Apa Anub, noting (1895, p. 252 [trans.]) that the relics of more than sixty martyr monks were preserved there (Abu Salih spoke of sixty-three), so it therefore cannot be confused with the monastery of the same name in Wadi al-Natrun.
It is not known when this small monastery ceased to function. The reports of consecrations of myron (consecrated oil), which traditionally took place at the Monastery of Saint Macarius (DAYR ANBA MAQAR), do not speak of it, although such reports are available for the years 1342, 1346, 1377, and 1401.
However, in the description of Wadi al-Natrun in his historico-geographical work Kitab al-Khitat, the fifteenth-century Muslim writer al-Maqrizi pointed out this Monastery of Apa Anub, near that of John Colobos, and stated that Apa Anub was a native of Samannud and that his body was preserved there (this, then, is the martyr celebrated on 25 Abib) but that this monastery was destroyed. Thus, it must have ceased to exist before the fifteenth century.
- Evelyn-White, H. G. The Monasteries of the Wadi’n Natrun, Pt. 2, The History of the Monasteries of Nitria and Scetis. New York, 1932.