DAYR ANBA HELIAS (Naqadah)
A rock church in the mountain three miles west of the small town of Naqadah, on the left bank of the Nile. Several texts deriving from the Theban region speak of a topos of Apa Elias. W. de Bock (1901, p. 83) discovered this church, and thought that it was identical with the topos of these texts.
For these, the reader will find the essentials recorded by Winlock and Crum (1926, p. 113). Since the term petra (designating a monastery hollowed into the rock) evokes the site very well and it is read also on an ostracon containing the catalog of a monastic library, a connection has been made with this site (Coquin, 1975, pp. 207ff.).
- Bock, W. de. Matériaux pour l’archéologie chrétienne d’Egypte. St. Petersburg, 1901.
- Bouriant, U. “Notes de voyage.” Recueil de travaux 11 (1889):131-38.
- Coquin, R.-G. “Le Catalogue de la bibliothèque du couvent de saint Elie du rocher.” Bulletin de l’Institut français d’Archéologie orientale 75 (1975):207-239.
- Kahle, P. Bala’izah, 2 vols. London, 1954.
- Winlock, H. E., and W. E. Crum. The Monastery of Epiphanius at Thebes, 2 vols. New York, 1926.
RENÉ GEORGES COQUIN
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.