DAYR AL-NASARA (Armant)
A modern name for a rock cave situated deep in the desert north of Armant, adapted by early Christian monks for living quarters. Today one can see no more than a large square tower rising from the ruins of buildings. They are in the stony area at the foot of the mountain. One cannot say if it is the ruins of a real monastery, a cenobium, or a rest house for the hermitages that were numerous in the mountains between them and the cultivated lands. This monastery cannot be identified with any site attested by the texts. G. Daressy (1914, pp. 266-271) believed, without offering any proof, that it was Dayr Anba Daryus, of which the Sahidic recension of the Coptic SYNAXARION speaks at 2 Tubah. J. Doresse has briefly described it (1949, p. 345).
- Daressy, G. “Renseignements sur la provenance des stèles coptes du
- Musée du Caire.” Annales du Service des antiquités de l’Egypte 13 (1914):266-71.
- Doresse, J. “Monastères coptes aux environs d’Armant en Thébaïde.” Analecta Bollandiana 67 (1949):327-49.
- Meinardus, O. Christian Egypt, Ancient and Modern. Cairo, 1965; 2nd ed., 1977.
- Mond, R., and O. H. Myers. Cemeteries of Armant, 2 vols. Egypt Exploration Society Memoirs 42. London, 1937.
- Timm, S. Das christlich-koptische Ägypten in arabischer Zeit, Vol. 2, pp. 767-68. Wiesbaden, 1984.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.