The village of al-Jawli is to the south of Manfalut. To the south of the village, then called al-Jawiliyyah, al- MAQRIZI (1853, Vol. 2, p. 506) situated a monastery dedicated to Saint Mercurius. J. VANSLEB also knew it but reduced it to a church (1677, p. 361; 1678, p. 217). S. Clarke noted under the name al-Jawli a church dedicated to Saint Mercurius, whose nickname was Abu al-Sayfayn (1912, p. 209, no. 8). O. Meinardus described the present state of this Dayr Abu al-Sayfayn (1965, p. 276; 1977, p. 385). The church, which is all that survives, has been reconstructed on the plan of the old one. The monastery was also mentioned by the hegumenos ‘ABD AL-MASIH SALIB AL-MASU‘DI (1924, p. 167).
- ‘Abd al-Masih Salib al-Masu‘di al-Baramusi. Kitab Tuhfat al-Sa’ilin fi Dhikr Adyirat Ruhban al Misriyyin. Cairo, 1924.
- Clarke, S. Christian Antiquities in the Nile Valley. London, 1912. Meinardus, O. Christian Egypt, Ancient and Modern. Cairo, 1965; 2nd ed., 1977.
- Vansleb, J. M. Nouvelle relation en forme de journal d’un voyage fait en Egypte en 1672 et 1673. Paris, 1677. Translated as The Present State of Egypt. London, 1678.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J.