DAYR AL-HAJAR (Monastery of Stone)
Six miles (10 km) to the north of the oasis of Dakhlah, which is about 130 miles (200 km) from Khargah, are the ruins of a temple of the Ptolemaic period that the inhabitants call Dayr al-Hajar, although there is no evidence that Christian hermits or monks were once there. The first to have pointed it out appears to have been G. Rohlfs (1875, pp. 339-40). It was also mentioned by H. King (1925). O. Meinardus described it briefly (1965, pp. 346-47; 1977, pp. 448-49).
- King, H. Mysteries of the Libyan Desert. London, 1925.
- Meinardus, O. Christian Egypt, Ancient and Modern. Cairo, 1965; 2nd ed. 1977.
- Rohlfs, G. Drei Monate in der libyschen Wüste. Cassel, 1875.