Dayr Al-Hadid

DAYR AL-HADID

The name of this monastery, no longer in existence, is today preserved by the locality ‘Izbat Dayr al-Hadid, situated on the right bank of the opposite al-Fashn. The village sits on a mountainside in the upper reaches of which are large caves (Daressy, 1917, pp. 202, 227; 1918, p. 18).

Daressy identified it with Ahrit, known from Coptic and Arabic texts as the site of a monastery, that of Saint ONOPHRIUS, and also from the Futuh al- Bahnasa (Galtier, 1909, p. 131), which speaks of Ahrit and of Sharunah (about 12 miles, or 20 km, to the south of ‘Izbat Dayr al- Hadid). Ramzi (1953-1963, Vol. 1, pp. 133-34) thought that Ahrit was the present-day village of Fadl, opposite Bani Mazar, 8 miles (12 km) south of Sharunah. Drew-Bear (1979, p. 101) placed Ahrit in the nome of Hermopolis.

  • Daressy, G. “Indicateur topographique du “Livre des perles enfouies et du mystère précieux’.” Bulletin de l’Institut français d’Archéologie orientale 13 (1917):175-230; 14 (1918):1-32.
  • Drew-Bear, M. Le Nome Hermopolite: Toponymes et sites.
  • American Studies in Papyrology 21. Missoula, Mont., 1979. Galtier, E., ed. Foutouh al-Bahnasa. Memoires publiés les membres de l’Institut français d’Archéologie 22. Cairo, 1909.
  • Ramzi, M. Al-Qamus al-Jughrafi lil-Bilad al Misriyyah, 3 vols. Cairo, 1953-1968.

RENÉ-GEORGES COQUIN

MARTIN, S.J.