DAYR AL-AMIR TADRUS (Jabal Abu Fudah)
This small monastery is placed almost in the middle of the Abu Fudah massif and at the same latitude as the town of Bani Shiqir, situated on the left bank of the Nile. It is built on the terrace of an ancient hypogeum that has been transformed into a church.
Other tombs, today vanished, had been fitted up as cells by hermits. It has been described by G. LEGRAIN (1900, p. 12) and G. MASPERO (1914, pp. 19-28). The latter wrongly called it Dayr al-Bakarah (Monastery of the Pulley), which would be more appropriate for DAYR MAR MINA, which is 3 miles (5 km) farther south. S. Clarke, in his list of churches (1912, p. 209, no. 4), designates it as dependent on the town of Bani Shiqir.
- Clarke, S. Christian Antiquities in the Nile Valley. Oxford, 1912. Legrain, G. “Notes archéologiques prises au gebel Abu Fuda.”
- Annales du Service des antiquités de l’Egypte 1 (1900):2-14. Maspero, G. Ruines et paysages d’Egypte. Paris, 1914.
MAURICE MARTIN, S.J