Dayr Al-‘Adhra’ (Asyut)

DAYR AL-‘ADHRA’ (Asyut)

mention a Dayr al-‘Adhra’ (Monastery of the Virgin) at Bani Ridah in the outskirts northeast of Abnub (right bank, to the north of Asyut).

ABU SALIH does not speak of it. Al-MAQRIZI (1853, Vol. 2, p. 517) indicates only a “church of Mary in the district of al-Khusus.” Vansleb (1677, p. 361; 1678, p. 217) gave an account of the Monastery of the Holy Virgin at Abnub.

Today this is a completely modern church in the middle of a Christian quarter (Meinardus, 1965, pp. 279-80; 1977, p. 388).

  • Meinardus, O. Christian Egypt, Ancient and Modern. Cairo, 1965; 2nd ed., 1977.
  • Vansleb, J. M. Nouvelle Relation en forme de journal d’un voyage fait en en 1672 et 1673. Paris, 1677. Translated as The . London, 1678.

RENÉ-GEORGES COQUIN

MAURICE MARTIN, S.J